Monday, March 28, 2011

A Tale of Two Yarns and a couple more!


Day One: 28th March. A Tale of Two Yarns.
Part of any fibre enthusiast’s hobby is an appreciation of yarn. Choose two yarns that you have either used, are in your stash or which you yearn after and capture what it is you love or loathe about them.
   One on the yarns that I really appreciate using is  Sugar'n Cream 100% Cotton Yarn by Lily Yarns mainly because of the “put together” look & feel of the finished fiber. I really don’t think you can ever go wrong with 100% cotton yarn. Whenever I decide to make any Amigurumi object my first choice is always Sugar’n Cream 100% Cotton Yarn. The price is just right for the amount of yarn especially for the size of the project, which Amigurumi is normally small scale for me. When it comes to  stuffing the Amigurumi the 100% Cotton yarn helps keep the stuffing hidden within, there is no peek through and your end project looks crisp and clean! Below is the head of a puppy Amigurumi that I am working on completing with 100% Cotton Yarn by Lily Yarns.

  Another yarn that I absolutely love which is still on the 100% cotton aspect is Lion Brand Nature’s Choice Organic Cotton yarn! I just started knitting an ear warmer in stockinette and I am loving the feel of it! I look forward to using it next Winter because the stockinette seems like it is going to keep my ears really warm! I have crocheted a hat in Nature’s Choice for myself and it really kept my head warm in the brutal Wisconsin winter, but unfortunately I have seemed to misplaced the hat, boo hoo! I love the colors, warmth the fiber provides and the look of Lion Brand Nature’s Choice Organic Cotton yarn.


  One yarn that I do not appreciate is  Lion Brand Homesupun yarn. I found that Homespun is hard to work with, the actual fiber slips/ splits off the foundation thread when working on a project, which then causes bunching/a knot like pool of thread. The slight positives  about Homespun are the colors and also the softness of the yarn.

   In the future I am looking forward to using natural fibers like Alpaca & Wool. I think that this year since I am only a beginner I have stuck to using man made yarns and I want to break away from the beginner projects and move to more experienced patterns such as garments and large afghans with cables!

1 comment:

  1. p.s. I am LOVING the new blog look - your header is awesome! now you need to work on mine.....

    ReplyDelete