Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Skill + 1UP

Day Two: 29th March. Skill + 1UP
Look back over your last year of projects and compare where you are in terms of skill and knowledge of your craft to this time last year. Have you learned any new skills or forms of knitting/crochet (can you crochet cable stitches now where you didn’t even know such things existed last year? Have you recently put a foot in the tiled world of entrelac? Had you even picked up a pair of needles or crochet hook this time last year?


Actually this time last year I wasn’t even introduced to the fiber arts at all! I really have only been Crocheting for 4 months now. And I have barely only been knitting for a week now. I do have to say that I seemed to have more patience learning Crochet than I have for Knitting. (Knitting is tough, maybe it’s because there are two needles rather than one hook and the tension is tricky to grab at first.) Below is my second attempt of stockinette stitch and it is turning out very well don't you think?

I wouldn’t call these new Crochet skills but instead would say that my level knowledge with Crochet has move to Intermediate. I have moved from just creating small accessories like hats & cowls to SHAWLS! I dream to create a sweater! Below are the two ways you can wear the shawl.

Also very excited to even start learning how to Knit! So far I am starting small making a ear warmer/head band and embellishing it with a Crocheted flower! Now I have started making a Stockinette stitch newborn baby hat and I am going to embellish it with pom poms. Now I can knit something and embellish with crochet! I've got the best of both worlds!

 

I feel very happy that I know how to both Crochet & Knit this year and I feel blessed knowing that I have found a peaceful & tranquil hobby that can be shared to younger and older generations. Which reminds me that I recently enjoyed teaching both my mother and aunt the basics of Crochet. Also my mom has finished one scarf already and has bought more yarn to create another scarf! Now I can share my hobby with my mother and we can “Stitch & Bitch” together!

1 comment:

  1. Awesome stockinette stitch. Feel free to borrow needles anytime - I definitely have extras! Your shawl is super cool - I'm going to have to give you all the crochet projects that I can't seem to make.....

    ReplyDelete